Re: Linux Kernel for Telekom MR303

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 12:50:55PM -0500, Matthias Bock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope, this is the correct mailing list ...
>
> Together with my Internet Package (Telekom Entertain) came a Receiver.
> It turned out, it runs Windows CE, so I disassembled it in order to
> replace it by Linux:
>
> It contains the 32-bit MIPS CPU Broadcom BCM7405 at 400 MHz,
> 256 MByte DDR2 SDRAM, 4 MByte Flash and a 500 GB SATA HD.
>
> I have never compiled Linux for platforms other than
> provided in the kernel config menu "Processor type...".
>
> Where do I have to start ?
> And where can I share my developments ?

Hi,

you would need a version of Linux for this specific box. I found a reference on the web
indicating that the OEM (Tatung Technology Inc) also offers Linux for this box. See
http://www.marcush.de/2011/02/12/test-des-mr303-telekom-entertain-media-receiver-303.
But even if you manage to get and load a Linux image, there would be no guarantee that
you could get it to work - if your internet or TV service requires an activation code
stored in the box, you would likely be out of luck.

Also, keep in mind you don't just need a kernel. You need a complete distribution with
root file system etc.

Guenter