Re: MIPS: Get rid of branches to .subsections.

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 01:43:10PM +0100, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> It was a nice optimization - on paper at least.  In practice it results in
> branches that may exceed the maximum legal range for a branch.  We can
> fight that problem with -ffunction-sections but -ffunction-sections again
> is incompatible with -pg used by the function tracer.

I'm pretty sure that this check in GCC is historic. I know it has been
discussed in the past but I don't think a solution was ever reached
and my google skills are failing me, I can't find the discussion in
the archives.

We maintain a patch at work that removes this check because we always
use -ffunction-sections and also needed to be able to profile
things. We've never seen any issues.

GCC guys, is this check still needed? Does anyone know which
architecture required this restriction?