Re: [Q] MIPS: How to record the user stack backtrace in the kernel

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Deng-Cheng Zhu wrote:

> In the kernel, we don't have frame unwinder to work on the user stack.
> Given the different possible compiler flags, getting the backtrace for the
> user stack is especially challenging. Certainly, I don't want symbols -
> only to get a list of return addresses. Do you have any comments?

 You can't do that, because, unlike some other platforms, MIPS ABIs do not
use a fixed frame layout.  You need at least symbol information or,
preferably, debug records to be able to construct a backtrace.  These can
be attached to the ELF executables used and are not easily reachable from
the kernel.

 What's the point anyway?  Just use GDB or other widely available user
tools.

  Maciej