Re: Can you add a signature to the kernel ELF image?

Take a look at arch/mips/kernel/head.S.  This file will be the first on
the final linker call's command line, that is head.S's .text section will
end at the lowest address.

Ah excellent, that combined with the linker script (to twiddle load addresses) is just what I'm after.

#ifdef CONFIG_NCD_HMX
	b	1f
	nop
	nop
	.word	0x20
	.asciz	"XncdHMX"
	.word	0, 0, 0
#endif

Perfect, thanks for the example, that makes it much easier.

[1] http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/HMX

The wiki page says something about a CRC but just poking a 0x20 into a
constant address is not exactly a CRC calculation.  Not sure how this
really is meant.

As far as I'm aware 0x20 means "ignore the CRC", I think the CRC itself is covered by one of the zero words.

Cheers,
Adam.