Can you add a signature to the kernel ELF image?

Hi all,

I'm trying to port the kernel to an NCD HMX X-Terminal (MIPS R4600), but the one thing I have to do before I can actually boot the image is attach a signature to it. I have the signature 'code' in assembly[1], but I'm not sure how to link it so that it ends up as the first bit of code in the ELF image (the very first instruction is a 'b' to jump over the actual signature text.)

Without this the boot monitor will refuse to boot the kernel. Any suggestions as to how I might accomplish this?

Many thanks,
Adam.

[1] http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/HMX