Re: Qube2 slowly dies

Hi Kevin,

It's nice to see a scientific suggestion to the nature of the problem

> From: Kevin D. Kissell <kevink@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Your description sounds an awful lot
> like failures I've seen when
> interrupts get lost or blocked for some reason (could be
> hardware, the
> kernel, or some interaction between them).  Have you
> looked at
>  to see if "Spurious" interrupts are
> occurring, or if
> the rate of serviced timer and I/O interrupts decreases or
> increases as
> the system degrades?

No I haven't checked - but I will. What would I be looking for that would stick out as "spurious"? The type of interrupt, qty or random interrupts appearing and dissapearing?

> When the system becomes unresponsive, by any
> chance does it "wake up" after 10-20 minutes (the time for
> the Count
> register to wrap)?

Not that I've noticed, I just see it degrade further and further untill it dies over the course of an hour or so.

> If other Qube2s don't exhibit this behavior with a given
> Linux kernel,
> but yours does, and yet yours runs NetBSD OK, it suggests
> that there's a
> difference in interrupt setup/handling between the two
> systems that just
> happens to work around a hardware problem on your board.

I'm sure that's a valid possibility, however I do have two of these machines and I have tried both with the same results.

I also had a problem back when I tried etch with the 2.6.18 kernel, however in this case I saw no degraded performance at all, however after a some of hours of activity (anywhere between 2 and 24+) it'd just fall on it's ass.