gdb configuration

Hi,

I'm trying to debug 32-bit linux over a serial port with gdb. I'm able to connect to the target and everything looks good until I examine the registers. What's there is obviously wrong. I've examined the stack and found the register data structure. Each register in this structure is 32 bits. When I compare the structure to the registers that gdb displays I can see that gdb is expecting each register to occupy 64 bits. I've tried setting "abi", "saved-gpreg-size", and "stack-arg-size" to 32 bits without success. Can someone point out my obvious mistake?

Thanks,

Chris Rhodin