RE: smp8634 add memory at dram1

James Zipperer wrote:

>>> I'm running out of memory in linux on the smp86xx and attempting to

>>> implement this solution.  Did you ever get it to work?  No luck for me

>>> yet.  I'm still a bit unclear why you must switch linux to run off DRAM

>>> 1 instead of leaving it on DRAM 0 and adding an additional call to

>>> add_memory_region in prom_init for DRAM 1.  But then again, I haven't

>>> gotten that to work yet either :)

>>> Any info/patches are greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

>>Typically DRAM 1 must be accessed through the TLB as its address lays

>>outside of the 512MB window of KSEG[012].

>>The best way to make this memory available to Linux may still be up for

>>debate.

>>David Daney

>I'm sure this is a dumb question due to the fact that my grasp of the >problem is less than acceptable...

>Can remapped addresses (namely CPU_remap[34]_addr) be used for the call to >add_memory_region()?  That would allow the address for DRAM 1 to be within >the 512MB window of KSEG[012].  I'm unclear whether the CPU_remap addresses >count as PHSYICAL or VIRTUAL addresses.

>I'm guessing that my plan won't work since I tried it and it didn't work.  >My results were that the kernel booted but didn't report any additional >memory available via the 'free' command.

>Thanks.

>-James

So I think I've got a little better grasp on the problem.  Is the reason you can't just remap DRAM 1 to 0x08000000 - 0x1000000000 because this is below the start address of linux 0x10020000?  Can this restriction be worked around easily?

So as far as I can tell, the options are:

1. YH's proposed solution to use CPU remap registers to map DRAM1 to 0x08000000 - 0x10000000 in the bootloader, make linux run from DRAM1, and then add_memory_region for DRAM1 and DRAM0.

2. YH's other proposed solution to leave linux running from DRAM0, enable HIMEM, add_memory_region for DRAM1 using HIMEM, fix HIMEM issues regarding cache aliasing.

3. Work around adding memory that starts below linux (not sure if this is even possible).

Are there other options as well?  Thanks!

-James