Re: smp8634 add memory at dram1

David Kuk" <david.kuk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear YH
>

> I am sorry i have been disturbed by other issues, the memory problem seems little bit difficult

> to me. In our case, i saw that in prom.c under mips/tango2, the function prom_init , it shows

> that :

> memcfg_t

> *m=(memcfg_t*)KSEG1ADDR(MEM_BASE_dram_controller_0+FM_MEMCFG);

> it's seems the kernel has hard coded to point the starting memory to DRAM controller 0's

> starting address, if now, i have remap 64mb memory at DRAM controller 1 at remap register

> 4, The problem is come, the kernel will ignore any memory before dram controller 0's starting

> address. Even i have add 0x0c000000--0x10000000 as boot memory, it still think it's first

> usable pfn is at 0x10000000.
>

> my solution is 3 steps
>

> 1, modify the compiler, let the linux start address moved to 0x0c000000,

> 2. modify the YAMON, and map the DRAM 1 controller to remap register4 in YAMON stage

> 3, modify the linux, to set the two piece of memory to the kernel as boot memory .

> it's this possible, or it have other better solution ?
>

> thx a lot for your kindly help !

> best wishes

> David

I'm running out of memory in linux on the smp86xx and attempting to implement this solution.  Did you ever get it to work?  No luck for me yet.  I'm still a bit unclear why you must switch linux to run off DRAM 1 instead of leaving it on DRAM 0 and adding an additional call to add_memory_region in prom_init for DRAM 1.  But then again, I haven't gotten that to work yet either :)

Any info/patches are greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

-James