Re: Toshiba JMR 3927 working setup?

Gregor Waltz wrote:
[snip]
> From where in the kernel image should execution begin?

Normally from kernel_entry, but your boot loader appears to start
from the begin of the code segment it loaded.

> Presuming that the output of "objdump -d" reflects the disassembled
> binary from the beginning in order, it looks like my 2.6 kernel is
> running straight into run_init_process as the first real code executed.
> From what I have seen in the kernel code, run_init_process should be
> jumped to far later in the boot process. If what I am thinking is
> correct, then it also explains why the failure happens in kernel_execve.
>
> I have also included the start of my working kernel, which has _ftext
> with non-zero data as its first entry. Is the _ftext the ELF header or
> some other info for the boot loader?

This is likely code which jumps to kernel_entry (but the disassembler
doesn't know since it sees no function symbol, so it defaults to data).

> Thanks
>

> linux-2.6.23.9/vmlinux:     file format elf32-tradlittlemips
>
> Disassembly of section .text:
>
> 80020000 <run_init_process-0x400>:

Enabling CONFIG_BOOT_RAW, as Atsushi already suggested, would have
added a jump to kernel_entry in this place.

> 80020400 <run_init_process>:
> 80020400:       3c028033        lui     v0,0x8033
> 80020404:       3c068033        lui     a2,0x8033
> 80020408:       244594dc        addiu   a1,v0,-27428

Thiemo