BUG: BUS error while returning from read() in /dev/oprofile/buffer

Hi:

I have been trying to hunt down this bug for several days now. What mainly happens is that when oprofiled wakes up from read() in /dev/oprofile/buffer on receiving a signal USR1 (i.e, when someone does opcontrol –start after doing opcontrol—start-daemon), it somehow gets SIGBUS within glibc read().  We are using a mips machine with Sybyte SB1 processor. On intel, this error does not show up. Interestingly, when I tried running a small test program that simply reads /dev/oprofile/buffer, the error can’t be reproduced!

Ralf and others, any insights, suggestions or useful comments from experience will be really really appreciated. I am spending a lot of time trying to fix this bug.

Cheers,

Ani