questions on struct sigcontext

Hi all,

First, I'm not subscribed to the list so I'd appreciate being cc'd on any replies.

We have a project getting started with MIPS, and one of the things that we're trying to bring in is some exception-handling code that logs various information about the ways that apps fail.

In particular, the guys working on this have asked for the STATUS, CAUSE, BADVADDR, and FPC_EIR registers to be made available as part of struct sigcontext so that they can determine exactly why the app is failing.

Looking at include/asm-mips/sigcontext.h I can see that these registers appear to be in the struct, but are either marked as "unused" or now have different names.

Am I correct that these registers are not currently exported to userspace on a fault? If this is the case, why not? Does anyone have a patch to enable this export?

It seems odd that mips app designers wouldn't want this information to be made available.

Any information you can provide would be useful.

Chris