Re: git problem

Thomas Koeller wrote:
> on my machine I have clones of both the linux-mips and
> Linus' kernel tree. I recently found that git-describe
> behaves differently in those trees:

[snip]

> The commit is of course present in both trees. AFAIK the
> 'cannot describe' error shows if there are no tags at all,
> but this is not the case; .git/refs/tags is fully populated.

Not really, it can happen if the commit you're trying to describe and
all of its parents are not tagged.

> Has anybody got a clue as to what may be wrong here?

Is the commit originally part of Linus' tree and was pulled later by
Ralf ?

If so, it probably means that the commits committed by Ralf in his
tree, which are the tagged ones, have no relationship with the ones
pulled from Linus.

		Franck