Re: [alsa-devel] [RFC] SGI O2 MACE audio ALSA module

Hi,

Thank you for trying it.

On 11/07/07, sknauert@xxxxxxxxxxxx <sknauert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the quick work. Gave it a try.

Shiva:/usr/src/linux-2.6.21.6# make CROSS_COMPILE=mips-linux-gnu- all
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 3 modules
WARNING: "snd_pcm_period_elapsed" [sound/mips/snd-mace-audio.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "snd_pcm_set_ops" [sound/mips/snd-mace-audio.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "snd_pcm_lib_ioctl" [sound/mips/snd-mace-audio.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "snd_pcm_new" [sound/mips/snd-mace-audio.ko] undefined!
make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make: *** [modules] Error 2

I have never seen this before, it looks like the ALSA core/support
modules have not been build on which my module depends on. Here's my
SND/ALSA config:

#
# Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
#
CONFIG_SND=m
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM=m
CONFIG_SND_HWDEP=m
CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY=m
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQ_RTCTIMER_DEFAULT=y
CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS=y
CONFIG_SND_SUPPORT_OLD_API=y
CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS=y
CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK=y
CONFIG_SND_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_SND_DEBUG_DETECT=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM_XRUN_DEBUG=y

CONFIG_SND_MACE_AUDIO=m
CONFIG_SND_MACE_AUDIO_SPY=m

I guess I should be adding more depends to my Kconfig, I've never
tried to see what the bare minimum alsa modules needed are.

Surprisingly, make modules before trying to compile the kernel didn't give
an error, but these warnings:

'make all' includes 'make modules'. I only ever use make all, which is
fine since make does what it's supposed to do and only rebuilds stuff
whose source files have changed.

  LD [M]  sound/core/snd.o
  CC [M]  sound/mips/mace_audio.o
sound/mips/mace_audio.c: In function 'sma_pcm_open':
sound/mips/mace_audio.c:398: warning: unused variable 'chi'
sound/mips/mace_audio.c: In function 'sma_gain_put':
sound/mips/mace_audio.c:893: warning: unused variable 'flags'
sound/mips/mace_audio.c: In function 'sma_proc_mace_read':
sound/mips/mace_audio.c:1023: warning: format '%lX' expects type 'long
unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'unsigned char *'
sound/mips/mace_audio.c:1023: warning: format '%lu' expects type 'long
unsigned int', but argument 4 has type 'unsigned char *'
sound/mips/mace_audio.c: In function 'sma_create':
sound/mips/mace_audio.c:1169: warning: passing argument 2 of 'request_irq'
from incompatible pointer type
sound/mips/mace_audio.c:1136: warning: unused variable 'mringbase'
sound/mips/mace_audio.c: At top level:
sound/mips/mace_audio.c:1060: warning: 'sma_proc_debug_append' defined but
not used
sound/mips/mace_audio.c:372: warning: 'print_pointers' defined but not used

This my test/dev code expect complaints about printf (%X for unsigned
char), I could put in explicit type casts, but I do plan to remove all
the spurious printk calls at some point and this helps to remind me.

Out of all of those I have to admit the 'unused variable flags' was an
oversight by me, I meant to remove that..

This seems like a minor oversight like a patch from the wrong directory.

However, if this is a real bug, I'm using gcc 4.1.1-21 with the MIPS
cross-compiler and build system from people.debian.org. I haven't tried
native compilation on the O2 yet. Let me know what you're using to get
something working and I can be more helpful.

I compile both on the O2 (occasionally) and on a Debian cross dev
environment, built using:
http://people.debian.org/~ths/toolchain/..../buildcross

I applied the patch -p1 < (let me know if it needs something extra) and
tried both the Linux-MIPS 2.6.21.6 (which isn't linked on the homepage for
some reason) and mainline from kernel.org with my working .config from
2.6.21.3 with make oldconfig.

I would be surprised if it patched a kernel.org kernel, but it should
apply fine the linux-mip.org kernel. I will have a look to check. Did
you use the patch from the email, that may have been mangled? (It was
a bit of a test to see have Gmail behaves) or the one I linked to on
lm.o? (below)

Again thanks for all the hard work on this driver. I can't wait to get it
working on my O2.

Same here, and thank you for looking at the patch/module.

Thorben

http://www.linux-mips.org/pub/linux/mips/people/trevelyan/mace_audio/mace_audio-20070709.patch