Re: Early printk recent changes.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 06:06:10PM +0200, Franck Bui-Huu wrote:

> > In this case I gather this was a bulk change and some platforms have
> >benefited and the DECstation has lost.  You seem to have problems as well.
> >These issues can be dealt with somehow and they do not mean the change was
> >bad as a whole.
>
> I think that's the reason why I started this thread: To see if this
> change is good and really woth...
>
> Making a new file 'early_printk' to gather 3 tiny functions. In the
> other way we lose the possibilty to register the console earlier, and
> we need to make some hacks to configure the console if it needs to be.
>
> I understand that such change is needed by x86 arch but for mips I'm
> skeptical.

I decieded to rush the whole early printk thing since we had several
copies of early printk in the MIPS code already.  Add plenty of
variations of prom_putchar / prom_printf.  We certainly now have less
loose ends in the code than before.  And since we're always in the trade
of better mouse trap I certainly won't object if submits has one :-)

  Ralf