Re: Early printk recent changes.

On 3/27/07, Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Franck Bui-Huu wrote:

> >  Don't fix what isn't broken...
> >

> Well with such advice, Linux would have been stuck to version 0.4 ;)

 Fortunately, there is a feature called "common sense" and it has
prevented a halt from happening.  Also I wouldn't be brave enough to claim
any particular version of Linux, nor any other piece of software, is
perfect, though, admittedly, the level of imperfection varies highly
across different versions and pieces.

you did notice the smiley, didn't you ?

 In this case I gather this was a bulk change and some platforms have
benefited and the DECstation has lost.  You seem to have problems as well.
These issues can be dealt with somehow and they do not mean the change was
bad as a whole.

I think that's the reason why I started this thread: To see if this
change is good and really woth...

Making a new file 'early_printk' to gather 3 tiny functions. In the
other way we lose the possibilty to register the console earlier, and
we need to make some hacks to configure the console if it needs to be.

I understand that such change is needed by x86 arch but for mips I'm skeptical.
--
              Franck