Re: Building 64 bit kernel on Cobalt

Atsushi Nemoto wrote:

Let me ask again:  Why do you want to use CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64=y ?

If your board use CKSEG0 load address, I can not see any point setting
CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64=y.  I think the description in Kconfig (and the
name of CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 itself) should be changed to make people
enable it only if really needed.  And it is already done by Franck's
pending patchset.

Well, the story, as it's been explained to me a half-dozen times, cause I keep forgetting, is that three particular machines, IP22, IP32 (R5K/Nevada/RM7K), and apparently cobalt, ran best when built with the old -mabi=o64 hack, because it generated less instructions for certain routines (loads, I think). Especially in the case of cobalt, you lack a L2 cache, so you want to squeeze every thing possible out of the cpu.

Well, o64 went away as we all know. It was never a favourable option for very good reasons (although I used it right up until it died and I was forced off of it). The replacement for it, that was more preferred and resulted in similar code was building a kernel for any of these three systems using CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 + -msym32 (auto selected in the Makefile) + the make vmlinux.32 target. I believe this method is what Debian uses for building their mips kernels for SGI systems, but don't quote me on that. If someone from Debian wants to comment, please do.

The idea being to stuff 64bit code into a 32bit object/kernel, since at least one of these systems, namely IP22, will only accept a 32bit object for booting. It can't understand 64bit kernel objects. Cobalt's colo bootloader will handle 64bit I believe, but my experience a year or two ago showed that a 32bit/64bit hybrid kernel ran much faster than a pure 64bit kernel, simply due to the decreased overhead. IP32's prom usually has no problem booting either, but I seem to also see a minor improvement in console redraw speed under the hyrbid kernel as well.

The issue is, if this method is broken, what's its replacement? Is this replacement capable of generating the same (or near enough) code w/o incurring a penalty hit? I mean, part of the reason for discussion going on for as long as it has been is the relative confusion surrounding the proper way to build these kernels for these particular systems. If someone can hash that out, I think we'll all figure out what track to get on and get something in the tree that works, and works well.

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond