Re: 2.6.19 timer API changes

Daniel Laird wrote:

Atsushi Nemoto wrote:

Hmm, do the TIMER1 and CP0_COUNTER run at same speed?  If no, the
PNX8550 port should be broken (i.e. gettimeofday() did not work
properly) even without the timer API changes.  You should provide
custom clocksource.mips_read (previously named mips_hpt_read) function

   Meaning clocksource_mips.read... :-)

which returns TIMER1 counter value.  If the TIMER1 was not 32-bit
free-run counter, some trick would be required.  Refer sb1250 or
jmr3927 for example.

---
Atsushi Nemoto

I am just starting to look into this (thankyou for your first comments).
I have reduced the problem code, so if I change the following:
/* For use both as a high precision timer and an interrupt source.  */
static void __init c0_hpt_timer_init(void)
{
	expirelo = read_c0_count() + cycles_per_jiffy;
	write_c0_compare(expirelo);
} (the 2.6.19 version)
to the following:
/* For use both as a high precision timer and an interrupt source.  */
static void __init c0_hpt_timer_init(void)
{
    unsigned int count = read_c0_count() - mips_hpt_read();

    Doesn't make sense to me... Should be 0 or near.

	expirelo = (count / cycles_per_jiffy + 1) * cycles_per_jiffy;
	write_c0_count(expirelo - cycles_per_jiffy);
	write_c0_compare(expirelo);
	write_c0_count(count);
}

This code just shouldn't be executing at all, since the interrupts are coming from the other source than standard CP0 count/compare registers (so, I'd assume mips_timer_state should need to be set -- but it doesn't)... and at the same time the handler writes to them... well, PNX8550 must have really weird timers...

Then i get the system to boot up and all seems well.  I am new to this and
am looking into why this change makes the system boot up.  As always though
any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Dan

WBR, Sergei