Re: The difference between mips*-gnu and mips*-linux when configure tool-chain

Fu, He Wei PSE NKG wrote:
> Thanks, sorry for I missed the mips*-elf for mips*-gnu.
>
> I think that for ld,the difference between mips*-elf and mips*-linux
> produces only some minor impact on the default ld script, for the
> behavior of ld itself, it has not serious impact.Is it my understanding
> correct?
>
> But for bfd, does the difference of these two config-choice have impact
> on the behavior of two different bfd-target? .

For both cases the resulting object file layout is different. mips*-elf
uses SGI-style, mips*-linux uses "traditional" style. I expect the
"traditional" format to get better long-term maintenance.

For a stand-alone bootloader both do for now, but I would prefer
mips*-linux since it eliminates the need for one extra compiler
when building a Linux environment.

Thiemo