Re: The difference between mips*-gnu and mips*-linux when configure tool-chain

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 05:15:07PM +0800, Fu, He Wei PSE NKG wrote:
> Hello everyone.At the time of building tool-chain for mips machine,we
> can choose mips*-gnu or mips*-linux, I want to know what's the
> difference between them? The original idea is that mips*-gnu for
> developing firmware which has not OS-surport, and mips*-linux for
> developing software on Linux, but it is not suitable for firmware such
> as bootloaders.But now I think I'm not right,it seems that configure
> with mips*-linux suit for both linux and bootloader, and configure with
> mips*-gnu means build for OS such as IRIX surport, I'm not very
> clearly,can anybody help me figour out the difference between them?

mips-gnu is the GNU system (the Hurd kernel).  mips-linux is used for
the kernel and userspace of a Linux system.  mips-elf is used for bare
metal targets without an OS.

You should be able to build a Linux bootloader using a mips-linux
compiler.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery