Re: Introduction and problems cloning repository

First time poster to this mailing list so if I am not following the correct protocol please let me know.

Introduction. I am a firmware developer working for NEC Australia.
We  are currently developing a MIPS SOC device made by Wintegra.

I am trying to clone the linux-malta.git repository using the
command "git clone http://ftp.linux-mips.org/pub/scm/linux-malta.git

./linux-malta.git" but I receieve an "error: Can't lock ref". I have
to  use http because I am sure port 9418 is blocked by the sysadmin

An good old access permission problem on the web server but I won't
have time to sort it out now.

I had this same problem.  Turns out that for the http method of git, you
have to use the name 'www.linux-mips.org'. So it would be
git clone http://www.linux-mips.org/pub/scm/linux-malta.git linux-malta.git

 cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/pub/scm/linux.git co
 -d linux-malta -P <branch>

Where <branch> is one of linux-2.0, linux-2.2, linux-2.4,
MaltaRef_2_4, MaltaRef_2_6 and master - if your firewall allows port
2401 that is ...

But why are you still using the linux-malta repository?  Since ~ 5
months it is no longer being updated and has effectivly been replaced
with linux.git repository.  Of this repository there are also
snapshots of all tagged versions available.

Good point.
Probably because on http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Getting_the_kernel it mentions MIPS technologies is maintaining "a stable and tested kernel with focus on hardware support for ... the Malta Eval board" and I thought it would be quicker to develop with.

Are they no longer doing the maintainace?

Regards,
Pak