Re: Introduction and problems cloning repository

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:49:44 +0100
Ralf Baechle <ralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 11:54:47AM +1000, Pak Woon wrote:
>
> > First time poster to this mailing list so if I am not following the
> > correct protocol please let me know.
> >
> > Introduction. I am a firmware developer working for NEC Australia.
> > We  are currently developing a MIPS SOC device made by Wintegra.
> >
> > I am trying to clone the linux-malta.git repository using the
> > command "git clone http://ftp.linux-mips.org/pub/scm/linux-malta.git
> >
> > ./linux-malta.git" but I receieve an "error: Can't lock ref". I have
> > to  use http because I am sure port 9418 is blocked by the sysadmin
>
> An good old access permission problem on the web server but I won't
> have time to sort it out now.

I had this same problem.  Turns out that for the http method of git, you
have to use the name 'www.linux-mips.org'.  So it would be

git clone http://www.linux-mips.org/pub/scm/linux-malta.git linux-malta.git

>   cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/pub/scm/linux.git co
>   -d linux-malta -P <branch>
>
> Where <branch> is one of linux-2.0, linux-2.2, linux-2.4,
> MaltaRef_2_4, MaltaRef_2_6 and master - if your firewall allows port
> 2401 that is ...
>
> But why are you still using the linux-malta repository?  Since ~ 5
> months it is no longer being updated and has effectivly been replaced
> with linux.git repository.  Of this repository there are also
> snapshots of all tagged versions available.

Good point.

Cheers,