Re: IDE routines for the ENCM3 in 2.6

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 11:29 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Ar Iau, 2006-08-10 am 16:27 -0700, ysgrifennodd Ashlesha Shintre:
> > Also, it says that probing for the device is taken care of during the
> > execution of the pci_register_driver function.  Am I confusing two
> > things?
>
> The existing VIA ide/pci/via82cxxx driver should support any of the
> standard IDE components found on VIA southbridges up to and including
> the 8237 (8237A should make 2.6.18)
>
> Depending on your MIPS board arrangement you may need your early boot up
> code to kick the chip into the right mode and allocate the PCI
> resources. You may need the VIA BIOS programmers guide for the relevant
> chip but if I remember rightly its all pretty trivial for the VIA.

Thanks for your inputs Alan.  I m still a bit confused though as to why
its only the IDE routines which need to be written in a separate ide.c
file.  My point is that there are other devices such as serial ports and
floppy disk drives on the Southbridge too, for which there dont seem to
be separate routines in the arch/mips/encm3 directory.