RE: Socket buffer allocation outside DMA-able memory

After having a look at the latest 2.6.17-rc6 codes, __dev_alloc_skb is defined like this:

#ifndef CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_DEV_ALLOC_SKB
/**
 *	__dev_alloc_skb - allocate an skbuff for sending
 *	@length: length to allocate
 *	@gfp_mask: get_free_pages mask, passed to alloc_skb
 *
 *	Allocate a new &sk_buff and assign it a usage count of one. The
 *	buffer has unspecified headroom built in. Users should allocate
 *	the headroom they think they need without accounting for the
 *	built in space. The built in space is used for optimisations.
 *
 *	%NULL is returned in there is no free memory.
 */
static inline struct sk_buff *__dev_alloc_skb(unsigned int length,
					      gfp_t gfp_mask)
{
	struct sk_buff *skb = alloc_skb(length + NET_SKB_PAD, gfp_mask);
	if (likely(skb))
		skb_reserve(skb, NET_SKB_PAD);
	return skb;
}
#else
extern struct sk_buff *__dev_alloc_skb(unsigned int length, int gfp_mask);
#endif

Therefore, you also can consider to implement your machine-specific __dev_alloc_skb() function, and force the skb is allocated from your low 32MB memory zone.

Best Regards,
Mark. Zhan