Re: kernel patch for QEMU ?

Atsushi Nemoto wrote:
> Now I'm trying QEMU 0.8.1 on mips.
>
> I found mips-test-0.1.tar.gz on QEMU download page and can run it
> (thanks ths!), but I still can not run a kernel (current lmo git)
> compiled by myself.  My kernel stops after the famous "Checking for
> 'wait' instruction...  available." message.
>
> The mips-test-0.1 contains kernel 2.6.16-rc6.  Is this a stock
> kernel.org's kernel or lmo's kernel?  Or is there any patch to make
> kernel run on QEMU?

This kernel is stock lmo except for a small patch which allows clean
system shutdown (qemu 0.8.1 does not have the counterpart to it).
The patch should be completely irrelevant otherwise.

However, later kernels try to access the CP0 pagemask register which
is R10000 specific, IIRC Qemu throws an Reserved Instruction exception
on accessing it.

I use a heavily patched version of Qemu which mostly supports mips32r2,
it also has better decoding of CP0 accesses. My current patchset is
available at http://people.debian.org/~ths/qemu/qemu-patches-bogus2,
it needs more work before it is ready for inclusion, and may be
completely useless for anybody else, since it works ATM only on powerpc
hosts.

Thiemo