Re: does the linux support rootfs on vfat?

On Monday 06 March 2006 6:49 pm, you wrote:
> It's attractive for a limited resource device that needs to have FAT
> support for a removable flash memory card (for Windows PC
> interoperability).  If you can use FAT for the root fs, that reduces the
> system resource needs.
>
> It doesn't make sense if his ide disk is non-removable though.

IMHO it is a bad idea alltogether. You are asking for trouble. The system
resource needs are rather increased [1] than decreased.
On the other hand, you would you need to trade files between the *root* fs of
the linux and Windoze? Usually we want to trade some user files (like photos,
music etc.), but not the system files. Would you trust Windoze ever not to
destroy something in those root files? Why don't you create a second, VFAT
partition and mount it somewhere?

[1] ext2 or whatever is optimized. FAT isn't so and you really want to run
Linux trivial files from an optimized system.