Re: how to emdedded ramdisk.gz in vmlinux for linux-2.6.14?

Basically due to design issues and cost issues having a flash based
system is not possible.  Currently we have only 16MB total of flash and
the biggest contiguous block avail in this is only 12MB.  Our current
ramdisk (uncompressed) is running at 30MB.  Basically, memory is cheaper
than flash.  When you have designs that are very cost sensitive (to put
it lightly), for example adding a 50 cent part is a major event.  You
cannot just say we need more flash...  If we are to continue to support
the embedded market for Linux,  every decision we make as too what
feature gets put in, which ones get dropped have to be made with
everyone in mind.  What is good for the desktop market, may not be the
best solution for the embedded market.  BTW: When I mean embedded I do
not mean Ipaq or Palm.  These are small computers with a completely
different set of requirements than a 1U pizza box headless storage
controller/switch/etc.

--
Any content within this email is provided “AS IS” for informational purposes only.  No contract will be formed between the parties by virtue of this email.