Re: how to emdedded ramdisk.gz in vmlinux for linux-2.6.14?

Marc Karasek wrote:
Is the process still the same.  In that you create a ramdisk image that
can be mounted, just using initramfs instead?

It's actually simpler than that, insofar as creating the archive. There are two ways that I've tried, probably another exists as well. None involve the mess of creating a mountable image.

1) In the scripts/ dir in the kernel tree, there's a script, gen_initramfs_list.sh. chmod +x it, and pass to it (as its only argument) an absolute path pointing to a ready-to-go root file system that will be loaded by the machine that boots the subsequently produced kernel. The output of gen_initramfs_list should be directed to a text file -- it's a text listing of every file in the directory passed, including mode params, symlink destination, whether it's a device or not (and if is, how to re-create it), etc.. This text file can then be passed to the initramfs option in menuconfig, and the kernel pulls in the files and rolls them into its initramfs cpio archive it builds.

2) cpio up a ready-to-go root file system and pass that to the same initramfs option in menuconfig.

Provided the root filesystem is setup properly, just don't pass root= on the command line, and the kernel takes over loading and running the main startup script (it's either /init or /linuxrc that it looks for, one of the two).

We will be moving to 2.6.x for our next chip and currently have scripts
to create a ramdisk with busybox embedded.  If these cannot be used
anymore, I may want to take over the patches for ramdisk from you and
maintain them.  Otherwise our sdk would have to change and the tools,
etc. and that is not a desireable option......

This isn't that big of a change actually. As described above, it's decidedly simpler, as you don't have to rely on any file system (it's basically the same as the old MS-DOS ramdisks some utilities diskettes would load up and dump tools into)

IMO: Fixing something that was not broken is not a very good idea. :-)

I thought the same initially, but in truth, initramfs is far simpler, once you figure it out. I even fixed the embedded ramdisk to handle linking in objects files with conflicting ABIs (encountered when we built netboot images for SGI O2 because at the time, we built O2's kernels with -mabi=o64 which uses some mean tricks to stuff 64bit code into a 32bit file; ld hated that). Of course, I did this fix about an hour after Ralf removed the ramdisk code from 2.6.10 CVS. Talk about a sense of timing.

Especially once we found out initramfs loaded flawlessly on Origin, it was essentially deemed to become the replacement.

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond