RE: [processor frequency]

Wolfgang,

In your summary you mention ...

 "This probably explains why many developers who never use low-end embedded processors don't care about (and usually don't even know of) these problems in the 2.6 kernel."

The desktop/server guys typically use much larger caches (i.e. >= 512K)
and most have L2, compared to embedded systems which typically use less
without an L2. So I'd also expect embedded guys using small caches to see
larger decreases in performance due to more cache misses (i.e. more
interrupts produce more evictions).

-earlm