Re: sometimes get "crc error" while uncompressed ramdisk

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 14:40 +0800, zhuzhenhua wrote:
> i make a ramdisk by myself, and sometimes the kernel boot the ramdisk
> correctly but sometimes it printk "crc error" while uncompressed
> ramdisk, did someone meet this situation?
> thanks for any hints

Assuming your build and everything else is as it should be it may be a
RAM fault. Are you using a custom board?

I had some prototype boards here with some really long tracks to RAM.
(and some really short ones too!)

Memory tests such walking ones worked fine but the decompress of the
ramdisk works RAM pretty hard and it showed up intermittent faults like
you describe. Tended to be worse when the board was warm. I'd spray some
Freezit on and it would go back to working OK.

You could also try running the RAM slower and see if the fault
disappears.

JP