Re: MIPS - 64bit woes

Jim Gifford wrote:
Here is what I did to track down the errors.

I created a diff between the last working kernel 2.6.12 and the current kernel. Started with cpu-probe.c, that to me seemed the logical choice.

After patching the rest of files needed to support the patch in cpu-probe.c, I was finally able to produce a kernel under 2.6.12 with the same problem.

The files that I ported from 2.6.14 to 2.6.12 are the following
cpu-probe.c
cpu.h
mipsregs.h
cache.c
cpu-features.h

Here is a link to the patches I used http://ftp.jg555.com/errors

Looking at mipsregs.h, something doesn't look right for a 64 bit system. But I'm not the expert.

Here are my findings, I hope someone out there has an idea.

Stanislaw pretty much figured it out last night.

See the if statement in the 'void __init cpu_cache_init(void)' function in arch/mips/mm/cache.c. IP30, IP27, and cobalt didn't define the appropriate cache type in cpu-features.h, thus failed that check and panicked. I believe it's fixed in the newest IP30 patches, of which I have yet to take a look at.

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond