Booting with NFS fails

Hello all,

I have installed Red Hat Enterprise 3 on the host
(x86) and MontaVista Linux (previewkit) on the target
(memec virtex-4 Fx12 LC board). When booting the
target using NFS from the host, the following error
appeared:

   eth0: Link carrier lost.
   eth0: Could not read PHY control register; error
1003
   eth0: Terminating link monitoring.

It is very strange, because ethernet does not work as
the error shows but I can ping the target from the
host with the IP got with DHCP.

Your help or experience would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Nguyen Binh