[Slightly-OT] VR4110 core

Hi All,

I'm in my final year doing a BSc Computing Science degree in the UK, and for my project/dissertation I've chosen to attempt to get Linux to run on an old Sky Digibox (PACE 2500N) set-top-box. So far my research has revealed the CPU has is a NEC VR4110 core with lots of MPEG and graphics processing stuff tacked on. The board itself is quite interesting, with a PC-Card slot, audio out, 2x SCART, RF-out, modem, and serial connection.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding what kernel to use (it seems as though the best would be 2.4, is this correct?), or any knowledge whatsoever of similar chips and especially how to bootstrap, etc...

I'm currently reading Sweetman's "See MIPS Run" which is a great book, but I'm curious as to how much the chip differs from what's documented therein. NEC seem to have lost the documentation about this chip, so they're no help...

Many thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Boot