Re: [Patch] Fix lookup_dcookie for MIPS o32

Ralf Baechle wrote:
On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 09:04:49AM -0700, David Daney wrote:

The CPU has performance counters, but they cannot trigger interrupts, so I am just using it in 'timer' mode right now. I am wondering what would happen if I added all counter samples at each clock tick. That is something I might try when I have a little free time.

Now that's truly a strange processor - what CPU are you using?

ATI Xilleon X226-A12. According to my data sheet, there are ten counters, but you can only use six at a time. They are external to the 4KEc core, and the only operations you can do to them are enable/disable counting, reset to zero and read the current values.

The counters count:
I cache hit/miss
D cache hit/miss
TLB hit/miss
JTLB hit/miss
Write merging/not merging

Perhaps I should not worry about them. Probably hooking up one of the high resolution timers would yield more useful profiling information.

I had one other problem with my cross built bash where the signal numbering of the build host was being used instead of the numbering for the target. Once I fixed bash and the lookup_dcookie system call, it seems to work flawlessly.

That bug is getting a classic.  I've fixed it in ash also - ages ago ...

I usually try to escape from the horrors of crosscompiling by using a
decent GHz MIPS system.

Yeah, In a perfect world I would have such a beast.

David Daney