Re: OProfile cannot be loaded as module...

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 04:59:11PM -0700, David Daney wrote:

> arch/mips/oprofile/common.c defines several symbols (op_model_mipsxx and
> op_model_rm9000) with __attribute__((weak)).  It then assumes that ELF
> linking conventions will prevail and there will be no problems if they
> are undefined.
>
> The problem is if you try to load oprofile as a module.  The kernel
> module linker evidentially does not understand weak symbols and refuses
> to load the module because they are undefined.

Actually it contains code to handle weak symbols so this is a bit
surprising not last because STB_WEAK handling happen in the generic
module loader code and is being used by other architectures as well.

So if there's a problem with the module loader I'd prefer to solve that
instead of starting to kludge around it.

What compiler exactly are you using btw?

  Ralf