Re: RFC: Revise n32 ptrace interface

Ralf Baechle (ralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) writes:

> I quite deliberately did omit DSP support from 64-bit ptrace(2); there
> is currently no MIPS64 processor with DSP support that I know of.

This is true so far.

But assuming that 64-bit processing becomes increasingly interesting
(which seems certain) and that some kind of DSP support with extra
registers remains attractive (which seems fairly likely)... well, I'd
have said that any 64-bit MIPS CPU configured from now on is quite
likely to have extra DSP registers.

So while "you aren't going to need it" for a while, anyone thinking of
doing a non-compatible change to ptrace might want to reserve some
space for these registers.

--
Dominic