Re: Floating point performance

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 12:36:10PM +0100, Nigel Stephens wrote:

> Matej Kupljen wrote:
>
> >I thought that SF *should* be relatively fast, because I have
> >experience with it on ARM, where Nicolas Pitre wrote amazing
> >SF support for the glibc.
> >How can we speed-up SF on MIPS?
> >Does anybody have some suggestions?
> >

> Maybe someone should volunteer to port Nicolas's "amazing SF support"
> from ARM to MIPS. Hint hint.

Unless you've got a spare ASE lying around with conditional execution
and a barrel shifter, I don't think this is in the cards.

Which isn't to say that someone couldn't write a good MIPS-specific
implementation, if they were a sufficiently good FP guru.  But
my feeling is that ARM is more prone than MIPS to clever tricks that
are hard for a compiler to generate.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC