Re: Performance bug in c-r4k.c cache handling code

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Dominic Sweetman wrote:

> > Besides new CPUs more often than not
> > require changes to kernel-level software anyway.
>
> Making sure that isn't so is the reason why there's a MIPS32/64 spec
> (with all the privileged operations defined).  Which also avoids the
> undesirable development step of new hardware combined with new kernel
> software...

 Except that clairvoyance does not work reliably in the long run, so while
you may be able to run old software with no changes on a new chip using a
subset of its capabilities, you probably still want to update your kernel
to better exploit the new design.

> >  I just disabled invalidations. ;-)
>
> Ouch.  So the effect could have come from a variety of sources.

 Yes, I should have probably really done a better arrangement -- but I had
limited time for testing, so I did just a rough estimate.  I should get
back to it eventually as that piece of code requires further tuning.

> > Ironically this is where the write-back cache of the R4k gives loss
> > rather than gain as compared to the write-through cache of the R3k
> > (the system supports daughtercards with either CPU, so useful
> > comparison is possible)...
>
> Maybe.  But remember, on the R3K every write was a write through, and
> they all had a cost in bus congestion, which may have delayed a
> following read and held up the CPU (or the write buffer may have
> filled and stalled the CPU).

 Effective bandwidth of DRAM memory for the system is documented to be
100MB/s and the R3k used (the PACEMIPS R3400) is clocked @40MHz (the R4400
on the other daughterboard is clocked @60MHz).  Therefore while I believe
congestion is indeed possible, it's not really that common with PIO,
especially as the CPU has a priority over DMA traffic.  Except from
partial word writes which require RMW cycles at the memory controller
level due to ECC (but they are not used for bulk transfers anyway).

> I think up to about 33MHz write-through remained a tolerable policy
> for 1988-era memory systems; any faster than that and you just sank
> under a flood of writes.  2005-era memory systems are much faster when
> bursting, but the time they take to process a single write cycle has
> improved by less than 2x.  So write-through is still a really bad idea
> for 100MHz CPUs using off-chip memory.

 Certainly.  It's just systems with a lot of DMA traffic do really beg for
hardware-maintained coherence.

> Even when your device requires you to push out all the data it can be
> more efficient to write data to the cache and then force writeback to
> memory: at least that way the data goes to the memory in efficient
> burst cycles.

 That's assuming cache does write-allocation, which is not always the
case.

  Maciej