Re: Seg fault when compiled with -mabi=64 and -lpthread

>>Hmm, well with respect to my problem, I'm using a pretty recent
>>toolchain, with gcc 3.4.4, binutils-2.16.1, glibc-2.3.5, and headers
>>from a linux-mips 2.6.11 snapshot.  Interestingly, I tried to reproduce
>>Bryan's segfault, but could not.  That code ran without error when I
>>linked with libpthread.  Any thoughts?
>

> I don't think glibc 2.3.5 worked for mips64.  But I haven't checked it
> in a long time.  Try CVS HEAD of glibc instead.
>
> Other than that, you're on your own - building glibc is extremely error
> prone.

I'm sure it can be error prone, but that isn't the problem here at all.
  My n32 glibc 2.3.5 compiled and seems to work just fine, and I was
able to compile an entire userland around it that has no (other)
problems so far as I can tell.  By this, I mean "emerge system" in
Gentoo terms, which is a pretty good test of whether the toolchain works
or not.  Furthermore, other programs that are linked against libpthread
run without causing a segfault and oops.  I'm talking about glib, as in
the glib that used to be part of GTK+ before it was split out some time
ago.

The segfault with kernel oops that I can't get around occurs while
glib's configure script is checking for libpthread.  Specifically, it
links http://beerandrocks.net:8080/~spbecker/oops/conftest.c against
libpthread and then runs it.

I've somewhat convinced myself this is either a kernel and/or a header
problem.  It seems I'm only able to reproduce this problem when trying
to compile and run that code while running 2.6.12 from cvs.  As I
previously mentioned, I tested the offending code on a kernel I compiled
from a 2.6.10 snapshot some time ago, and it ran with no segfault or oops.

-Steve