Re: IP32 - issues with last CVS snapshoot

Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:

O64 may not be supported ABI, but it provides us with a feature that is really
usefull:
specifically, it generates 32 bit symbol addresses instead of 64 bit ones.
This cuts
down on code size considerably. If this feature was implemented in toolchain
as separate
switch, O64 hack could go away.

Well, the topic has been beaten to death here, so you don't really need to illuminate me -- it's only due to this popular request I've implemented the ability to do 32-bit builds for 64-bit kernel. I just wonder why people insisting on such a setup don't actually contribute some code to do that cleanly and keep switching between hacks as they stop working one by one...

Well, it wasn't my intention to beat anything to death mentioning the o64 hack. I'm just pointing out that using n64 for an ip32 kernel results in a broken kernel at this point in time...plain and simple. Therefore we have to use this hack. Another point though is that n64 kernels are very large, and apparently ip32 has issues booting kernels larger than about 8mb. So either way, n64 isn't a good idea for o32 at this time.

Steve