Re: IP32 - issues with last CVS snapshoot

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:

> O64 may not be supported ABI, but it provides us with a feature that is really
> usefull:
> specifically, it generates 32 bit symbol addresses instead of 64 bit ones.
> This cuts
> down on code size considerably. If this feature was implemented in toolchain
> as separate
> switch, O64 hack could go away.

 Well, the topic has been beaten to death here, so you don't really need
to illuminate me -- it's only due to this popular request I've implemented
the ability to do 32-bit builds for 64-bit kernel.  I just wonder why
people insisting on such a setup don't actually contribute some code to do
that cleanly and keep switching between hacks as they stop working one by
one...

> With that said, you are of course right - IP32 code and some drivers are
> broken, because
> they do rely on this feature in many places.

 Having a compiled tree in place these bugs are trivial to track down with
"find", "objdump", "grep" and some usual shell script magic.

  Maciej