Re: patch like kexec for MIPS possible?

On Feb 5, 2005, at 3:33 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

.....   but  I cannot see many situations where
kexec is actually better or more powerful than  a  decent  bootloader
line U-Boot. OK, I'm obviously biased.

I agree. I've played with booting kernels from kernels in both PowerPC and MIPS in the past, and the problem I always run into is drivers or kernel functions that assume a particular power up state. When rebooting from another kernel you don't have the same state as from power up, and some software doesn't like this. I suspect main reason for kexec is the horrible x86 bios and nothing that can be done about it.

Oh, and I agree with your assessment, not that you are biased :-)

-- Dan