Re: patch like kexec for MIPS possible?

In message <20050205191110.GD3071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> Kexec is written for x86 (yet) - but the (my) question is if
> this would be possible with MIPS, too.

Other, smilar solutions exist for other  architectures,  like  Magnus
Damm's  "relf"  tool for PowerPC and x86 (relf - reload elf: a driver
to load and start a new elf file from within  Linux).  Adaptions  for
other processors are more or less trivial.

> Does GRUB run on MIPS? Does GRUB support SSH2? Does most MIPS
> bootlaoders support USB-sticks or booting via VPNs?

Use U-Boot :-)

> LinuxBios is a "nice" project, but for most boards/boxes Linuxer
> could be happy to be able to boot it - to develop a nice boadloader
> is depended from the hard/firmware of the systems.

Use U-Boot :-)

> A kernel with a kexec like patch could be used into the bootchain
> for several reasons:
> - booting from original not supported devices (usb, network)
> - for upgrades lower downtimes (Router, Firewalls....)

These are IMHO the only valid reasons for such an approach.

> IMHO would be the most powerfull and flexible way
> to boot a linux kernel,
> to boot it just from an other linux kernel.

We've been using "relf" in some projects (x86 - where we  were  stuck
with  really  dumb  BIOSes),  but  I cannot see many situations where
kexec is actually better or more powerful than  a  decent  bootloader
line U-Boot. OK, I'm obviously biased.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@xxxxxxx
In an organization, each person rises to the level of his own  incom-
petency                                         - The Peter Principle