RE: initial bootstrap and jtag

Yes, rom emulators still serve a useful purpose, especially when a brand new board/cpu or ejtag firmware can't communicate to each other properly.  Wait for that to get fixed (no), walk to the flash programmer for every new image (tedious), or plug in the rom emulator (30 seconds to change the image).

--Brad