Re: Which MIPS kernel is good to start up? linux-mips.org or Montavista?

colin wrote:
Dear Ralf,

The time where choosing 2.4 for new project still did make sense is over.

It may or may not be, that's not the point. You're not buying a kernel only when you go with a commercial distro. You're buying the entire cross dev environment, target packages, support, etc, etc. Figure out what it will cost you to support your engineers internally and maintain the distro yourself, research problems when you run into them, etc. If it's cheaper to do it internally, great. But most companies I've talked to that think they can do it cheaper internally are simply wrong. That's not to say that there's no place for "do it yourself" but weigh your options carefully.

Pete

Why? Isn't it stable of Kernel 2.6 for MIPS?

Regards,
Colin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ralf Baechle" <ralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>