Which MIPS kernel is good to start up? linux-mips.org or Montavista?

Hi all,
We want to begin to put Linux to our new board with 4KEc CPU.
Is it better to start porting from Montavista's Kernel, or from the one of
linux-mips.org?
I phoned the sales of Montavista and he told me the difference of these 2
kernels are little, but their kernels have been tested a lot for stability.

Naturally, we would like to choose the kernel version above 2.6.

Thanks and regards,
Colin