Re: gdbserver and Re: hardware questions

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 03:18:58PM +0100, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

> If you want more of a "large format" mipsel platform
> to experiment with, you might be able to find an old
> "RISC PC" from Siemens or NEC with an R4000
> configured little-endian to run NT.  Maybe Ralf has
> one in his attic he'd care to sell you. ;o)

Unfortunately no.  Since Thomas Bogendoerfer stopped maintaining the Olivetti
support the support for MIPS Magnum 4000, MIPS Millenium, Olivetti M700-10
and Acer PICA is rotting away ...

> I've never used gdbserver myself.  I did manage to get
> some use out of the old 2.2-style kernel gdb hooks.
> I don't know that it's the root of your problem, but
> you should definitely get getty/shells off of whatever
> serial port you're trying to use for debug.  In theory,
> there are protocols to multiplex serial ports between
> gdb streams and other stuff, but I've never had any
> luck with them.   You may also need to make sure that
> you're starting gdb and gdbserver in the right order.
> Certainly, that was the case when booting with kgdb.

We have a special GDB console kernel option which is meant to support
exactly that kind of gdb + console multiplexing.

  Ralf