Re: gdbserver and Re: hardware questions

If you want more of a "large format" mipsel platform
to experiment with, you might be able to find an old
"RISC PC" from Siemens or NEC with an R4000
configured little-endian to run NT.  Maybe Ralf has
one in his attic he'd care to sell you. ;o)

I've never used gdbserver myself.  I did manage to get
some use out of the old 2.2-style kernel gdb hooks.
I don't know that it's the root of your problem, but
you should definitely get getty/shells off of whatever
serial port you're trying to use for debug.  In theory,
there are protocols to multiplex serial ports between
gdb streams and other stuff, but I've never had any
luck with them.   You may also need to make sure that
you're starting gdb and gdbserver in the right order.
Certainly, that was the case when booting with kgdb.

            Regards,

            Kevin K.