Re: udelay

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

Any kernel messages (e.g. transmit timed out) from the tulip driver when it
dies?

None that I can see. If I'm using SSH, input/output just stops cold. In some cases, I have noticed that if you send a single character (like you were in a text editor when input/output died), and you wait a minute or so, it will appear. This seems to mean the interface hasn't died completely, but seems to havce slowed down to the point of complete unsuability, like >1bps would be my guess.

Restarting the interface fixes it for several seconds until it drops again. I usually disconnect from the serial console before trying any SSH activity, as serial console work + network activity can halt the kernel (which I have confirmed does occur in 2.4.21 CVS).

As an experiment, I did try replacing the udelay(1000) line in the cobalt patch with mdelay(1) to see if this udelay() brokeness was the issue, but it still drops out after several seconds.

--Kumba

--
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond