Re: CVS Update@xxxxxxxxx: linux

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 02:44:25PM -0700, Jun Sun wrote:

> Congradualtions!  You will have roughly about 950 files under that
> directory.
>
> Even with good effort to combine files and promote sharing, I think
> you will still have quite some.
>
> I think having another directory layer under arch/mips/platforms
> shouldn't be too bad, (although I like arch/mips/machines better).
>
> We can use some scheme like Geert was proposing, i.e., named after
> boards and chipsets.  Hack, I think even naming after board vendor
> is acceptable.

Chipsets are a too coarse granularity to structure things these days.
Modern chipsets integrate a large number of logically independant
functionality.  Frequently such chipsets are ASICs which consist of
various logically independant functions licensed from several sources
and possibly multiple chipset / ASICs are being used in a single
system.  The world just isn't that simple ...

  Ralf